Characteristics of a Battering Relationship
- He withholds approval, appreciation
or affection as punishment.
- He continually criticizes you,
calls you names, shouts at you.
- He ignores your feelings.
- He ridicules or insults your most
- He is extremely jealous, harasses
you about imagined affairs.
- He manipulates you with lies and
- He insists you dress the way he
- He humiliates you in private and/or
- He insults you in private and/or
- He takes the car keys and/or money
away from you.
- He subjects you to his reckless
- He locks you out of the house.
- He abuses pets to hurt you.
- He punches, shoves, slaps, bites,
kicks, chokes, hits you.
- He rapes you.
- He threatens to kidnap the children
if you leave.
- He threatens to keep the children
away from you, to prove you an unfit mother.
- He threatens to commit suicide
if you leave.
- He refuses to allow you to socialize.
- He threatens you with a gun, knife,
or other weapon.
- He repeatedly tells you no one
else cares about you but him.
- He tells you he treats you this
way because he loves you.
- He tells you if you were a better
wife he wouldn't have to treat you this way.
- He blames you for all of the family
- He calls you at home several times
a day to 'check up' on you.
- He doesn't allow subscriptions
to the local newspaper or magazines.
- He lies to friends about you, about
- He doesn't allow you to work, and
complains about the amount of money you spend.
- He takes possession of your paycheck,
giving you too little to run the household.
- He criticizes you for dressing
up and criticizes you for looking unattractive.
- He becomes irrationally angry at
your attempt to explain, discuss or defend.
- . . . and the list goes on and
on and on . . .